Jack Hammer needed? Or will a Hammer drill be enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

I have a patch in the garden which used to be full of slate gravel. The previous owner of the house i'm in, got a tradesman to pour cement over it in order to prevent her dogs from munching at the slate or something like that. I would like to get rid of the cemented-over slate and was wondering whether i should get hold of a jackhammer or a decent hammer drill. I would prefer not to spend too much for a jackhammer, whether I am renting the tool out or buying it, as i will only be using it once for this purpose. Maybe if i buy a hammer drill though i can use it for other things too right?

So what do you think will be needed a Jack hammer or a hammer drill?

I'm attaching a photo of the garden. The slate concrete part is the right curling strip at the side

Thanks guys

Paul

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum Paul.

It depends on how thick it is; can you simply use a sledge hammer to break it into slabs you can lift?

Last year I bought one of these;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msbr1700-a-16-2kg-hex-shank-electric-breaker-230v/623hv

All I wanted to do was to install a new fence but found 3' stone to break through; it was bought just for this one job and it can be sold on if I want to. Years ago I bought a new cement mixer which I owned for 6 weeks doing a job then sold it on only losing about £20 because the price of the mixers had risen.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks Colin. I thought about using a sledge hammer and on second thought I will try it. It's 1-2 inches but doesnt seem very steady because of the slate in it. If it turns out that a sledge hammer won't do I will consider your offer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're welcome Paul. If the thickness is only up to 2" then a sledge hammer should make short work of it and give you a good workout too. Years ago I broke up a concrete path of about 2" thick; once the first piece is out the rest is easier.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I agree with Colin, using a sledge hammer if it isn't to thick is the way. If you don't fancy that, I purchased a Parkside hammer drill last year from Lidl, it was about about £40:00 and it is money well spent. It's ferocious, an awful lot of gear for the money. Don't be put of by the fact its not a big name. I used it to remove a 6" concrete floor. and it's still going strong. I have put a link below, but I don't know if they are selling them at the moment, but there is always eBay.
Regards
Muadibe

Ask a Question