Is this my Main Drain Cleanout?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This seems like it is but it's at the front of the house, I thought they were usually set up at the rear or side!

S.E. Corner foundation.JPG

P1010839.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your response SS. Nutz, the only other 3" pipe I've found that may be the cleanout is under the house and horizontal.

Main Drain end 2.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apologies. I’m from the uk. I believe soil pipe means clean out pipe in the states. My mistake

Reaction score
Country
United States
No worries, this home was built in '68 so there's no telling how the original plans may have deviated since that terrible year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be wise to water test your pictured clean out pipe with a hose to ensure the outlet is not blocked and carrying water correctly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trouble is, with that horizontal pipe, if I opened it it could be a heck of a mess deficant wise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies, you’re referring to the second picture. I think that looks far too small for a soil pipe based on the image. However as you postulated previously, the property was (possibly), highly deficient in build quality so it may be wise to take precautions. What is the width of the pipe imaged in the second picture? Is it possible to refer to US building regulations for the necessary width of soil pipes for that era, in order to confirm accurately so you don’t cover your face in faeces?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my humble opinion, I think the second image relates to the water feed pipe supplying the property. Obviously I’m English and have every clue about British regulations but none about American. So if I’m mistaken I’m sorry. Cheeeers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I learned from my next door neighbor that his Main Drain Cleanout is in the back corner of his home, ours being built at the same time and likely by the same developer. Going to do some 'water witching' come next day it's not a deluge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I removed the downspout adapter and had my housefrau run the shower, there was no sound of water down that pipe. Looks like I'm back to square one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering if the city may have details as to lines running to their main sewer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The City tells me that the sewer line to the house is on the opposite side of the house that the drain from the bathroom shower sink and toilet are taking as indicated by the under house pipe direction. If this is correct, the pipe is making a 180* turn somewhere.

Ask a Question