Is baking soda and vinegar safe for clearing pipes?

Reaction score
Yep, the ingredients used for making those science fair project volcanoes. Is it safe to use to clear clogged pipes or will it hurt the pipes?

Reaction score
Hi Zyni

The only correct advice would be to only use a product formulated for the purpose. As far as I know soda and vinegar will neutralise each other, and be of little use.

Reaction score
You dont mix them together. Put the soda down first, leave for 5 mins then poor in the vinegar. It is supposed to be quite good.
Adam

Reaction score
Hi Zyni

The only correct advice would be to only use a product formulated for the purpose. As far as I know soda and vinegar will neutralise each other, and be of little use.
They don't neutralize each other, they create a bubbling reaction. That's why I wondered if it was okay to use.

Thanks, Arouse. It seemed like it would be good, but I didn't want to harm the pipes.

Reaction score
They don't neutralize each other, they create a bubbling reaction. That's why I wondered if it was okay to use.

Thanks, Arouse. It seemed like it would be good, but I didn't want to harm the pipes.
Go for it.

Reaction score
Oh well, that shows how much I know about chemistry !
Haha. I know from the kids science fair projects, lol. Baking soda and vinegar volcanoes.

I gave it a try, Arouse, and it worked well. Thanks again.

Ask a Question