Insulating our tiny mobile home

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here but not new at all to construction. I grew up with a remodeling company being run out of our basement by my father, and was around it for 23 years until my father passed away. I worked with him for about half that time, but of course we were not working on tiny homes. We obtained a wrecked RV at the beginning of summer and started working on it until we ended up homeless for a while and have had to put it on hold. Then we found a place to move it to with permission, but the city came along eventually and used the police to force us out of town. So we finally found somewhere to finish our construction and the walls will be going up as soon as the weather permits. I learned SketchUp at the beginning of the summer and designed a completely new way of doing frames. I can't disclose the details yet of the exact style of building, but basically the framing is done off the trailer and will be placed on it shortly here when the rain gives us a break.

Our main challenge currently is that we need to figure out insulation and we need to figure it out in a big hurry. Due to our circumstances we have a very tight budget, and have to keep our costs down as much as possible without sacrificing the quality of our structure. We have a bunch of 22.5" square voids that are 3.5" deep that we need to fill with insulation. We will also need to fabricate doors and insulate those as well. We also have the area under our trusses to insulate with something as well. We've had a lot to deal with this summer(the above paragraph hardly covers all the crap we've been through this year), and figuring out insulation just hasn't been possible yet. We can't sacrifice the space to put in 10 inches of fiberglass or anything like that, but we also are finding spray-in foam like Dow Froth Paks to be insanely expensive. At the local hardware store its 300 dollars each for part A and part B, and that only covers about 620 square feet to a 1 inch depth. Totally not going to work! Its an 8x24 foot deck so we have about 750 square feet of internal space to cover and to a depth of 3.5"(the added footage is due to the roof angles). We also need to insulate under the trailer deck as we had to pull out all the original fiberglass and the plastic sheeting that covered it. Our tanks will also need some sort of insulation and they're going to need it ASAP. We're running out of warm weather here and the rain seems like it's going to be every other F'ing day here for the next month. Keeping warm this winter is a big priority, especially since we have a 3 year old son.

So the Froth Pak is absurdly priced, but what other alternatives are there? Many of the pour-in foam products just want us to call them for pricing and I'm not a fan of that practice. I really want something I can price on my own. For 600 dollars though, I'm starting to wonder if we just use Great Stuff or something similar since it is more fire resistant. We'll probably be putting a wood-burning stove in eventually. At least that is what we'd like to do. I've looked at Aerogel products like Space Loft, but that's 9 dollars per square foot, and we just don't have the 7000 dollars that would cost us to insulate with. I want something more structural than loose insulation anyway. We've also looked at Foamular, but I don't love how flammable it is and how easily damaged it is, and how any damage compromises its qualities. I am not particularly fond of polystyrene foam either for the same reasons plus how insanely messy those stupid little beads are, plus its barely structural in most cases. I also noticed that Loctite makes a foam product, but I know nothing about it. I'm a big fan of Loctite products though and most of our tiny home is assembled with a combination of brad nails, PL375, and a very large amount of PL400(I LOVE PL400!!!!). The outside skin of the structure is plywood with aluminum flashing over it. That will address radiant heat at least. I am not a believer in foil-faced products as it makes zero sense to put a radiant barrier underneath another material(Mylar works great if its open toward the heat source, but that's not going to work on this structure). Low VOC would of course be nice considering the structure type as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We're really in a big hurry to get this done so we can stop being homeless. Right now we're living in a friend's basement and we have to be out of the house whenever he is. On nice days that isn't so bad, but on rainy days like today we can take shelter out in his shop or in one of the cars. We have a Subaru Outback that currently is our only vehicle with a hitch, but it has a bad head gasket that I need to fix when I get the time, and we have a Honda Civic that just had a tire go flat this morning. We have to keep costs down here.....

Last edited:

Ask a Question