Incompatible or faulty? B&D drill battery fully charged. Doesn't work. Other's do... Why?

Reaction score
Two B&D 18v NiCad batteries. They both fit my old 18v B&D EPC18 drill, but only the 2-pin/prong A18E battery works. The 3-pin ML:HPB18 is completely dead in the drill, but, after testing, seems to be fully charged (16.6V = OK for a not-new battery?).

So, is this because the batteries are importantly different in some way, or because one battery is faulty? What kind of 'faulty' would fully-charged-but-not-working be? Or are they significantly different - is the three-prong one incompatible in some way, even though it's the correct voltage and fits the drill - snaps into place fine?
If the battery is not faulty, but just incompatible, could anyone help me understand the difference between these two batteries - at least in terms of what tool the useless-to-me 3-prong one is intended for, so that i can offer it to someone who could maybe use it...?
Thanks!

Attachments

Ask a Question