I have an unheated basement and want to insulate the ceiling containing all my water pipes.

Reaction score
I put pipe insulating tubes on the 1" pipes but don't know if it's enough to keep from freezing in Ma.

Reaction score
I am somewhat confused by your question. Is this a new house or new plumbing? Were the pipes ok last winter? Does the basement get below 32 degrees F when the heat is on in the house? A little more background will help.

Reaction score
I am somewhat confused by your question. Is this a new house or new plumbing? Were the pipes ok last winter? Does the basement get below 32 degrees F when the heat is on in the house? A little more background will help.
old house, yes the basement freezes sometimes (that's why there's no heat). Pipes are on bottom of rafters that's why I'm not sure about the insulation. Thanks

Reaction score
Will, first off I am not a professional in this area so let me tell you what I would do as a DIYer. I would first get some of that black foam pipe insulation and cover all the pipes. Next I would spray with the aerosol styrofoam at least an inch thick. I can’t imagine that they would freeze through that.

Ask a Question