I am totally hopeless at D.I.Y !

Reaction score
Hi folks

I am in my mid 40s and totally hopeless at DIY. I have problems even changing a light bulb!

The reason for being 'totally hopeless' is in fact because I am partially disabled. It is a type of invisible disability in that I cannot hold DIY tools properly (I have a slight problem in hand coordination). Therefore, ever since I was young, whenever there is a mention of any DIY that needs to be done around the house, I get a feeling of nervousness & fear, let alone the fact that I would be able to carry out the work!!

Up until present, I have been living with my parents, and for personal reasons (I have just got married & wife is expecting) I now need to find a place of my own, or rather, our own. Obviously if I do manage to get a place, I will have to do some sort of DIY for general maintenance of the place.

My question is - Do you think I should enrol on some kind of DIY course which would help me gain knowledge and perhaps practical skills in general DIY around the house, or do you think that would not be a good idea, since I may not be able to operate the tools effectively, anyway.

Finally, are there not any tools at local retailers that are designed for easy use - i.e. for disabled people?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Reaction score
Hey geek84, firstly let me just say that i think it is highly admirable that you are wanting to DIY on your own, and i hope it works out for you. Do you have any friends or family that you could call on for large DIY jobs? Perhaps the best way to start would be to make a list of all the things in your home which could need fixing / repairing over time. Then have a checklist next to that column indicating if it can be done by yourself or if you need some extra help. Friends and family might be able to give you practical skills rather than having to pay for a course.

Not sure about tools for disabled people, but i found this site which may be of use - lifedisabled.com/category/diy/

Hope that helps and good luck x

Reaction score
Start small and work your way up to larger jobs. That would be my advice. As you get more confident you might surprise yourself at what you can do. Obviously I don't know the extent of your disability, but there are lots of DIY advice websites around (DIY Extra to name but one). Just remember to know your limitations and ask for help if needed.

Reaction score
Diy Help

I understand you would like to get involved in some D.I.Y.. A good idea would be to see what help there is in your area in your situation. I believe some organisations would be available at a reasonable ( or maybe free ) basis. Then you could pick up some tips.

Regards

Handydanny

Ask a Question