How to cut stainless steel angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a length of stainless steel angle 50 x 50 x 3mm which I want to cut into 100mm lengths to make brackets. I have an Evolution Rage chop saw fitted with an Evolution 210mm saw blade specifically for cutting stainless steel. I have fixed the angle corner side up. However, after a lot of effort, the blade merely grooves the metal and simply will not cut through. I have followed Youtube clips which say to keep the piece cool with water which I am doing but all to no avail. Other Youtube clips show a blade going through almost like butter. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Aluminum has an alloy (chromium and nickel) in it that makes it unique to cut, bend and weld, but very corrosion-resistant.

In any case, there are three (3) keys requirement for cutting stainless:
1) SLOW SPEED
2) LOTS of PRESSURE
3) A9 (or an aluminum cutting oil)

Your chop saw is likely WAY too fast.....if the stainless start heating red/purpose, you WILL NOT CUT IT. You must keep ALL HEAT away. It is counterproductive to try cutting when your producing excessive heat.

It's tricky!

Hope the best.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much AC Power that's helpful. I cant use aluminium as the brackets I am making are supporting the ends of roof trusses (albeit short span) off a vertical wall and I can't find any commercial brackets that would suit. The ends of the trusses come down at a steep angle 67deg.
Sadly I can't slow the saw down. So I think I will have to get the steel cut by a firm.
Thanks,
Paul

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think that's a good choice to use a 3rd party company to do stainless cutting. Remember too there is galvanized (also know as zinc coated, or hot-dipped) steel. Galvanized flat bar can be bent to produce your own bracket at the specific size simply with a bench vise.

Ask a Question