How long should a 50W halogen (GU10) bulb last?

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a light fitting which contains 4 x 50W halogen bulbs which we bought from B&Q, but we seem to be going through bulbs at a rate of 1 per month, even though the packaging suggests the bulbs should last for 2 years.

Is that normal? We have tried GE bulbs and some from B&Q own brand.

I don't know if it's a fault of the light bulbs or if something in the light fitting could be causing them to blow. We use them for around 8 hours a day and only turn them off/on a few times during this.

Reaction score
Hi Krypton888, and welcome to the forum.

This is a common subject I'm afraid. It has to be said that a lot of these bulbs are really not as good as they should be, especially the own brand versions. One problem could indeed be the fitting if it doesn't allow the heat to dissipate enough. So, sorry, there's not a lot you can do unless you can obtain any other make of bulb, or another fitting.
Another alternative would be to replace the bulbs with LED versions.
I should say that there is a very slim chance of a wiring fault, but may be worth a thought if you continue to have problems.

Reaction score
Thank you JohnKay!

I will try one more type of halogen bulb before going down the LED route, as I like the off-white colour that halogens give. It looks like there are some places online that sell long life halogens, so I may try one and see how it works.

Have you used LED GU10s before? I guess they must be pretty good now!

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back. I've tried one or two LEDs and I'm pleased with the result. As you say they are improving all the time. There's often a choice of 'colours' so you should be able to get that soft look you like. I suggest you have a look on-line for the equivalent of 50w
I've had good recommendations for www.ledhut.co.uk the choice is yours !

Reaction score
I have a fixture that uses three of these bulbs. I would guess that I get 2 to 3 months out of them. If you can find LED lights with the same socket I would go that route. The cost of the halogens is about $5 and the LEDs here are $20-25, but they should outlast the halogens. You might even save a few bucks on the electricity if you are running 4 for 8 hours.

Ask a Question