How hard can it be? Block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
Due to lack of funding available at present I'm thinking of trying a bit of building work myself to cut down on labour costs.
The main cost seems to be the labour and material cost of laying the paving. I have already purchased the block paving, buying one or two packs as available funds allowed.
Is it possible to lay paving blocks on wet concrete? I realise that drainage may then become a major issue. The internet doesn't seem to have this answer as looking for this keeps bringing up laying on existing concrete with a bed of sand or mortar(normally mentioning paving slabs). I have a 1/20 fall from front to back of property, around 30 meters in total, with an existing French drain running about halfway across, which I think goes to a soakaway but very much doubt it will be good enough for the amount of rainwater over the entire area, as would need to be extended by around a further 4meters. Existing concrete is in a poor condition (cracked) so will be removed. Looking at all info on laying blocks on compacted stone etc I really wouldn't feel confident it wouldn't sink over time so don't want to find in a few years it has to be sorted again. Luckily I have free access to mini diggers, rollers/compactors etc.
I should state that as a garage is being built at rear of house vehicles would be travelling over one part of the block paving. albeit not often as used for classic car storage only.
Any tips, info or advice would be really appreciated, even if you think it would be a bad idea to attempt myself.
Thanks all.

Reaction score
Good luck with your project.

My only advice would be to make sure you have sufficient bricks to complete the project,. plus a few more for "contingencies."

Sometimes, depending on the type, going back for more after making a mistake in the estimation, they may be unavailable, or a slightly different shade. It can happen with tiles too.

Ask a Question