Rebuilding garage doors / Replacing hardware - Questions...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi DIYers, looking to get involved in something I've generally not done before. I'm not new to home renovations, I've done plumbing, electrical, cutting / laying tile, drywall, masonry, etc. But... I've never removed a garage door, and I'm concerned about the springs.

In the house I bought a couple of years ago, I've mostly renovated the home but I want to rebuild the garage doors. The doors themselves are original to the home, and are made from the same wood / same texture as the rest of the house's exterior accents. They're in really good shape with almost no wood rot. Most of the people in the neighborhood have replaced their garage doors with the new aluminum ones that all look the same, and I feel this robs the home of the original character. These homes were all ultra-luxury homes at one point, so everything was done with great care, and everything was made custom.

I'm planning on having ALL the hardware replaced, and new garage door openers as well. I'm going to pay someone to do that, but in the mean time, I want to disconnect the garage door springs so that I can slowly take the garage door apart and repair it.

What do I need to do to ensure I don't kill myself with the spring? What is the easiest way to disable it? Is this something I can call a garage door company to come out and release the spring tension for me?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you talking extension springs or the dreaded torsion springs?
So, not sure sir. I think probably the "dreaded" torsion spring, if that's the large coiled spring that runs along the width of the top of the garage door, mounted above it. I don't know of any other springs though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys! I appreciate it! I'm currently deployed, so I'm asking the questions while I have time, and then I'll do this when I get back!

(Rgr, Torsion spring, got it!)

Ask a Question