How can I fix this hole in the wall?

Reaction score
There is a backdrop to our wood stove...some sort of concrete panel that had tiles on it. The tiles all fell or got ripped off (we are putting up sheet metal instead for a heat shield) but as shown in the picture there is a large chunk of the wall where the panel and the old drywall behind it has just been destroyed.

I'm not sure how to address this, it's odd in shape and way bigger than just some little hole I can throw some filler into. And it's partially behind where the old panel is vs just all straight exposed drywall. There is a draft there and exposed insulation so it's not good either way.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
There is an easy way to make invisible patches that is more difficult to explain than to actually do. Cut all the jagged edges on the hole and make them smooth. I prefer to make the hole a square or rectangle. Cut a piece of drywall to fit the hole. This doesn’t have to be perfect only close. Put some drywall compound around the outer perimeter of the patch on the side that is going to show. Take joint tape and work into the compound so half is on the patch and half is hanging over the edge. Make sure all edges have tape overhanging. Clean all excess compound off and let the patch dry overnight. Next day put a layer of compound around the entire edge of the hole. Insert the patch piece into the hole and work the overhanging tape into the compound. Level the compound out as best you can but use caution not to push the patch beyond being flush with the wall. Apply a thin coat of compound and sand as you would a joint. If you take your time, no one will know there is a patch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good idea and good explanation Doug. A browse of YouTube videos will surely give a number of solutions. :)

Can you buy a small piece of drywall (plaster board over here) or have you to buy a full sheet?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Thanks guys
I guess I'll just stuff it up with spray foam to eliminate drafts then put the metal sheeting up over it.
Whole damn kitchen needs bulldozed and redone really, so I'm not going to overthink or overwork it here.

Ask a Question