Hose faucet replacement

Reaction score
I'm an above average amateur plumber, but this is a new one for me. The metal insert in the knob for an outside hose faucet rusted away after only 40 years so it no longer grips and turns the shaft, and there is no replacement knob. Mansfield says the part was obsolete before they sold off the division, and the new guys got nuttin. I can handle replacing the unit if I know there are no secret handshakes or other hidden gotchas. The old one is not very deep at all, but new ones look like the set the washer/water opening back about a foot. Other than adjusting the feed pipe for this dimension, anything else to watch out for?

Or, since it looks like I can unthread the guts from the old unit while leaving the body attached to the plumbing, are these things standardized enough that I can get replacement guts (with a new knob) from a generic aftermarket parts supplier?

Thanks.

ak

Ask a Question