Hoover F7452900 advice

Reaction score
Hi, I have an older Hoover SteamVac model F7452900. The upper water tank ass'y was replaced with a non-leaking type quite a while ago.

This machine has been working fine for quite a while (a rarity for this model, I've read). The other day, while using it, I noticed that it had stopped dispensing water. The liquid soap does dispense, but not the water.

I disassembled the unit and checked for obvious problems (clogged/disconnected hoses, etc.) ... all OK. The screen underneath has been cleaned thoroughly.

I found two 120V solenoid valves in the base which seem to be there to control the flow of detergent and water to the brushes - I removed and checked them both (with 120V) and they seem to be working properly. Inside the very bottom of the handle there seems to be some sort of solenoid-based pump. I could not remove the hose at the pump output because to do so would have required me to destroy the crimp-on clamp that Hoover used for that connection. However, I was able to pop out the entire output ass'y with the spring-loaded seat inside - that allowed me to remove the pump and test it with 120V. It seems to be vibrating properly and I could see no problems with the rubber output seal. There is also a clutch-driven microswitch integrated with one of the unit's wheels which I assume actuates when the machine is pushed forward - I believe the cleaner is supposed to dispense water/detergent when pushed forward and vacuum it up when pulled back, and this microswitch seems to be for that purpose. At any rate, I checked all switches I could find throughout the machine for continuity and spray-cleaned them to be sure.

The only part that is a mystery to me is a passive valve that's also in the handle - the parts list calls this a "pressure valve"...I have no idea of what it's supposed to do nor how it works. It has two large-diameter rubber hoses connected, along with one clear vinyl tube of much smaller diameter. I'm guessing this valve may have something to do with the attachable hose sprayer, but not sure of that.

After cleaning everything and reassemling the machine, it began to dispense water...but stopped after a minute or two.

I'm out of ideas! Anybody got one?

Thanks

Ask a Question