Hole Saw the right tool?

Reaction score
I have a tiny workspace and I am thinking of mounting a medium size vise on a 3" thick piece of wood then clamp/anchor the wood & vise to my work bench when needed.
My thought is to use a Hole Saw to hollow out 4, 1&1/2" holes for the vise mounting bolts, then mount the vise from above so the 4 lock nuts would be recessed (by the holes the hole saw make) and allow the vise to sit flat when clamped. Can I use a Hole Saw to accomplish this or is there a better way? I'm not very experienced so I can use all the advice you forum sisters and brothers can give me! Many thanks! I hope this is clear enough to be understood!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For your needs perhaps a 2" thick piece of wood to mount your vice on will be plenty strong enough and to save you worrying about sinking nuts and washers how about using 10mm T-nuts? For lightness even 18mm plywood would make a mounting board?

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question