Help with wiring Rheem Point of use Water heater

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

Moms house is having foundation issues and one of the hot water lines going to her kitchen island sink and dishwasher broke. Plumbers cannot replace the line either with an insert or with plex through the roof.. .due to arched ceiling and no access. So they installed a Rheem Point of use water heater...120 volts and 29 amps...

Of course they could not wire it for power, so wondering if I can just splice into the links for the dishwasher to power it? Hate to have to call an electrician after spending 2700 to do hot water line reroutes due to the slab foundation issues.

Thanks ,

jim

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am neither a plumber or an electrician, so I’m kinda winging it here. I have done many things in my life, and learned from most of them.

That’s a lot of juice for a point of use water heater. A lot of juice as in it needs upgraded wiring to operate properly and safely. Is there a dedicated 30A circuit for it? Probably not. Maybe there will be soon.

If you have family or friends in the trades, reach out and ask them to come over and supervise you and show you what to do and how to do it. “Come over for dinner and after, you can keep me from making stupid mistakes or hurting somebody. Can I use your tools if I clean up after?“

If you don’t have those people in your life, call an electrician. If the plumber really did the job, it’s ready to go. The electrician just has to install a 30A breaker and receptacle and run the wires.

If friends or family work at your house, pay them. At least make the offer. If they take it, great, if they don’t, donate to a local charity. When they need a favor, you’re obligated to help them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

Moms house is having foundation issues and one of the hot water lines going to her kitchen island sink and dishwasher broke. Plumbers cannot replace the line either with an insert or with plex through the roof.. .due to arched ceiling and no access. So they installed a Rheem Point of use water heater...120 volts and 29 amps...

Of course they could not wire it for power, so wondering if I can just splice into the links for the dishwasher to power it? Hate to have to call an electrician after spending 2700 to do hot water line reroutes due to the slab foundation issues.

Thanks ,

jim
After I made my comment, I looked for plug in water heaters, and I think you may have misread the label. It is in a lousy place to try to read, especially in the dark, and they are often poorly printed.

Rather than 29A, might it read 2.9A? It makes a lot more sense than 29A.

Stay safe!

Ask a Question