Hello from SW Ohio!

Reaction score
Country
United States
New to this forum but not to all kinds DIY, having owned over 125 cars and 5 houses, doing most of my own work on all of them.

Currently have a few older Volkswagens apart in the barn, also a first gen Dodge Cummins truck, those are usually what I work on but I'll generally have a go at anything, unless it's under warranty. Also have 5 John Deere tractors out there, and the barn itself is halfway through a major rebuild.

I didn't plan to do so much DIY stuff but working with precision tooling and machinery most of my life I got used to looking at everything in a technical way that just carried over into home life.

Also, after looking at finished work I had hired people to do and thinking I could have done better with a little more care and attention to detail and the right tools, I just started reading and learning and doing and collecting tools. Plus, my dad was into DIY, and I'm kinda cheap, saving money for the big stuff pros should do.

Sometimes you can get dozens of conflicting answers searching the web so I am hoping to be able to help others and get some informed advice here, I prefer a forum anyway. I did some "test reading" before joining and it looks like this is a good place for informed advice.

Cheers,

Joe

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Joe, sounds like you'll fit right in here! So glad you've joined us :D.

125 cars!? What's your favourite of them all?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Joe, sounds like you'll fit right in here! So glad you've joined us :D.

125 cars!? What's your favourite of them all?
Thanks Ian. It's easy to accumulate a lot when you occasionally have nine at a time, like I do now. It's really hard to say which one I liked best. I had a 1984 VW 2 door diesel Rabbit the longest, about 6 years, and I still miss it. Not sure why, just enjoyed that car, liked the color in and out, easy to work on and super reliable. I do have a photo of that from many years ago, had to sell it when the kids got so tall their heads hit the back window. I had a really nice all original 1964 Chevy Stepside truck that I had to sell when we moved into town when the kids were born. A 1972 3 door Chevy Suburban that got stolen and stripped down, and a lot of others. Getting ready to retire so I'll have to slow down now :)
DSC01630.JPG

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It certainly sounds like you keep yourself busy! I hear so many people saying they'll slow down after retirement, and I think they just get busier :D .

Reactions: 888

Ask a Question