Hello from cosplayer.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Alexander. I have been working as a barman for almost 6 years. I take a great interest in diving, drawing, and cosplay. Cosplay began to be carried away only about a year ago so for me this is a new place for self-development.
Cosplayers have 2 categories - the first ones who make their own suits and craft - staffs, armor, weapons, also are made themselves.
And the second ones are those - who order everything in craft shops for money.

I decided to try to craft something myself. I just had to pass the festival and I decided to be there as the Talon from the League of Legends. I made a blade for him. I was advised to use expanded polystyrene as material. In general, I did it but had to go through many difficulties due to lack of tools. I applied the contour of the parts to the sheet and then cut it with a clerical knife. This hellish labor in a few minutes numb hand. From below I will add a photo of the process.

So I'm looking for the right tools for myself. The materials I work with are polyvinyl chloride, expanded polystyrene, plastic and sometimes wood. Usually, all kraft is very voluminous, so I have to use such lightweight materials. They, though soft, but very “dirty” a lot of dust and small pieces of plastic and foam.

So, which tools I "must have" first? I`m thinking maybe of some kind of reciprocating saw, or maybe smth else would be better?

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :). That looks like a fun hobby!

I'm not too sure which tools to recommend for those materials, but someone else on here may have some good ideas. I would have thought perhaps a hot-wire cutter may be useful for that foam.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :). That looks like a fun hobby!

I'm not too sure which tools to recommend for those materials, but someone else on here may have some good ideas. I would have thought perhaps a hot-wire cutter may be useful for that foam.
I look through some models, thanks

Ask a Question