Hanging mirror fail!

Reaction score
Hi all!

So im trying to hang a mirror in my living room and bought myself a screw, wall plug and drill bit package from homebase.

I tried to drill into the wall and the hole just seemed far too loose inside. Almost crumbling, with just dust easily coming away. Needless to say the wall plug just floated around in side and, if anything, made the hole looser.

I hold my hands up, i am a newb. So can any of you advise me what type of wall it sounds like im dealing with here and the best way to secure a screw into it?

See the picutre attached of the mess!

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Trueblue :).

Can you take a photo of the wall plugs you are using please?

Does the wall sound hollow when you tap on it? It sounds like you're drilling into plasterboard, which won't work with wall plugs designed for solid walls. You'd need to get a different type, depending on the load required (some are sprung, others screw in to the plaster). Do you know how heavy the mirror is and how many fixing points you need?

Ask a Question