Halstead Ace High Combi Boiler Fault

Reaction score
The Boiler will fire up ok & stay on for a half an hour or an hour or so but it eventually goes off on it's own. It seems that calling for Hot Water causes the Burner LED to go off; hot water comes out at first but then quickly goes cold (within a minute or 2). Turning the hot water tap off again does not cause the Boiler to ignite again so there is then no Central Heating; the Burner LED stays off.

I have checked that the thermistor changes value when hot & cold (but don't know what values it should be -does anyone know?)

The Primary Flow Sensor 'piston' does generally go up and down & switch the microswitch (not sure if it did during this test, will check).

The pump does run (I've listened to it and taken the cap off the end & seen it spinning {when it slows down; it's too fast to see when it's running normally}). Mains is getting to the pump when it's running (of course).

I notice that there's an inline filter inside the 'group set'; does this need to be cleaned occasionally? I think this is only for DHW?

Could the problem be overheating when calling for DHW? I haven't tested the 'Safety Overheat Thermostat' yet, I must do that!

I think I've tested that all the microswitches go off & on (0 Ohms) including the 'Air Pressure Switch'.

The other symptom I was (and probably still am) getting is that when the CH Timer has switched to off (after the CH has been running ok), maybe 1 hour later, a Relay on the PCB clicks, the Primary Flow Sensor 'plunger' raises, switches the Microswitch then the Relay goes off again & this cycle continues forever!
I've been trying to eliminate verything else to decide if it's a PCB fault as I don't want to spend £150 on a new PCB if that's not the cause of the problem.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of a Circuit Diagram for the PCB & is there such a thing as a proper Service Manual for these Boilers (I have the 'Installation Manual')

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading this.
'The Prisoner'

(maybe a Meteorological Balloon will come and fix it for me...)

Reaction score
PS It seems that the CH does go off on it's own eventually even if you don't call for DHW (especially if it's on low).
Thanks,

Reaction score
The Boiler will fire up ok & stay on for a half an hour or an hour or so but it eventually goes off on it's own. It seems that calling for Hot Water causes the Burner LED to go off; hot water comes out at first but then quickly goes cold (within a minute or 2). Turning the hot water tap off again does not cause the Boiler to ignite again so there is then no Central Heating; the Burner LED stays off.

I have checked that the thermistor changes value when hot & cold (but don't know what values it should be -does anyone know?)

The Primary Flow Sensor 'piston' does generally go up and down & switch the microswitch (not sure if it did during this test, will check).

The pump does run (I've listened to it and taken the cap off the end & seen it spinning {when it slows down; it's too fast to see when it's running normally}). Mains is getting to the pump when it's running (of course).

I notice that there's an inline filter inside the 'group set'; does this need to be cleaned occasionally? I think this is only for DHW?

Could the problem be overheating when calling for DHW? I haven't tested the 'Safety Overheat Thermostat' yet, I must do that!

I think I've tested that all the microswitches go off & on (0 Ohms) including the 'Air Pressure Switch'.

The other symptom I was (and probably still am) getting is that when the CH Timer has switched to off (after the CH has been running ok), maybe 1 hour later, a Relay on the PCB clicks, the Primary Flow Sensor 'plunger' raises, switches the Microswitch then the Relay goes off again & this cycle continues forever!
I've been trying to eliminate verything else to decide if it's a PCB fault as I don't want to spend £150 on a new PCB if that's not the cause of the problem.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of a Circuit Diagram for the PCB & is there such a thing as a proper Service Manual for these Boilers (I have the 'Installation Manual')

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading this.
'The Prisoner'

(maybe a Meteorological Balloon will come and fix it for me...)
hello can you help please
did you resolve your problem ? Have the self same symptoms.

thanks

peter

Ask a Question