Groundworks- can I /should I put screed directly on top of MOT type 1 50mm layer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So around 2 years ago I bought my first shed. Retailer advice was to place it atop a concrete slab...but I was on a budget. I instead dug out some 50mm of soil, filled it with mot type 1, hired a compactor...
Then placed plastic grids on top and filled with gravel, a few joists and shed sits on top of all this.

Yes in hindsight the concrete slab would have been more sensible. But it has been half the price and the shed is on a firm foundation with excellent drainage.

The problem is the surrounding 1-2 metre boundary around the shed is an eyesore of bare MOT type 1. Larger rocks have turned with foot traffic so it is no longer flat either.

So idea I had was to cover this eyesore with artificial grass. 25 sq m total. But what to put on top of the MOT? If I lay it straight the rocks will be felt underfoot and cut the artificial grass backing. Can I screed it? I would need around 1000kg for 50mm screed. Should I just use sand? Won't the sand just leak out over time?

Should mention that this grass will be on a slope...the shed on its plastic grid platform is elevated from rest of garden. I wanted to have a slope going up towards it on all sides. Roughly 20 degree incline.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Literally made an account on this forum to reply, and then saw the date of your post (sorry I'm late!).

I came here after googling something that's similar to your issue, but I just happened to have an exact answer to your issue.

When I did our artificial lawn, we did 75mm of MOT type 1, compacted , chippings to dust (compacted, sprinkled with water, compacted again), and that gave us a nice smooth layer to lay the artificial grass on.

Nearly 2 years ago now and still all good.

Ask a Question