Generac Wheelhouse 5500 will not start without a little help.

Reaction score
I have a Generac Wheelhouse 5500 portable generator which will not start. The generator ran fine the last time I used it several years ago, and the gas was drained after I used it. I only used the generator for a day. I put the start switch to the On position, the manual shutoff valve for the gas was in the horizontal position (open), the filter is clean, the oil level is good, the choke was all of the way to the right, and the vent valve was turned all of the way CCW on the gas cap. Since it would not start, I removed the spark plug and it looks clean and the gap is the normal 0.30". I then removed the 2 carburetor bowl screws and the bowl came down some. I reopened the manual gas shutoff valve and the gas in the bowl started to rise. So, the gas in making through the manual valve and quick disconnect. After reattaching everything, the start switch was in the On position and the manual gas valve was opened and then a small amount of carburetor cleaner was sprayed into the carburetor. The generator started running but then it stopped running as though the gas is not making it to the cylinder. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Reaction score
There may still be some air or a pinhole leak in the gas line. After an extended rest time like that, it sometimes takes a few times priming the carburetor to get thing siphoning well again. Ethanol gas will also deteriorate the plastic in some older gas lines (that's what happened to us).

Reaction score
Thanks Tjohn. I finally got back to working on the generator after pulling a lower back muscle working on my bike. I pulled the carburetor off and cleaned it out. There was a little sticky residue in it. I will keep trying to get it running.

Ask a Question