GE Washer Won't Drain

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new GE stack unit, Model GUD27ESSMWW.

The first time I ran it empty to rinse it out, but when I came home few hours later there was still water in the tub. I try the drain and spin function but it just hums, so after watching a few videos I determine I need to check for a clogged drain line. Weird because it's brand new, but whatever. I have the selector switch to "off". I get to work bailing out the water and after I get a few gallons out it just starts draining. The water drains fine and the motor stops a few minutes later.

So I try another load, this time with some clothes in it, probably should have ran it empty again... This time the same problem. When the machine stops I go to check and the tub is full. But this time I bail out about 5 gallons and nothing happens.

I know I should be able to call about this under warranty but if it's something simple I don't want to go through the hassle.

Also, the only thing I did before installation was switch the plug to a 3-prong, but This shouldn't have affected anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's under warrantee if professionally installed. It might not be under warrantee.

Reaction score
Country
United States
DRAIN REQUIREMENTS DRAIN RATE – The drain or standpipe must be capable of accepting a discharge at the rate of 16 gallons per minute. DRAIN HEIGHT – The drain height must be 30” minimum and 96” maximum.• STANDPIPE DIAMETER – The standpipe diameter must be 1-1/2” minimum. There MUST be an air gap around the drain hose in the standpipe. A snug fit can cause a siphoning action.

this tells me the unit does have an integral water pump (not all washers do), so you should expect water to be pumped out into a nearby tub or tube.

if you hear a hum that worries me: i'd immediately check the wiring before running it again.

if you must, check the sump pump volate make sure it's 120v not 240v. or go over your diagrams twice. or what works. but i can't say what voltage the sump should be at - depends on what kind of motor. if you find the replacement motor on a parts site: it will show you what the voltage is.

if you hit the pump with the wrong voltage it may well be bad. but you never know it might still work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your GE washer is not draining, it's likely that the water level sensor is not working properly. Try cleaning the sensor with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol, and then try again. If the problem persists, you'll need to contact GE customer support to get a replacement.

Ask a Question