Gas meter box unused spigot

Reaction score
Hi,

Our gas pipe currently runs out the back of the gas meter box, through the spigot, and down the wall in the kitchen. Due to a new kitchen this is now in the way and I want it moved so it goes out of the bottom of the meter box and through the wall lower down.

My question is what should I do with the redundant spigot, can these be sealed and left in place, or is there a blanking place for them, or do I have to replace the whole meter box.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'd rather not replace the box if there is a better way.

PS: obviously I wont be doing any gas work myself but I just want to know the best way forward before I contact a gas safe guy.

Reaction score
No problem to do what you say, exiting the box at the bottom but if you do this the old hole/spigot in the box must be sealed. You should do this with a non setting sealer but to be quite honest I would find a plug (bottle top or similar) to fill the hole and seal it in with silicone sealer. The object is that if a gas leak occurred at the meter it is prevented from entering your property.

Pete

Reaction score
Hi Pete

Thanks for the response.
I figured the non setting sealant stuff would be ok, though I wanted something that looked a bit more solid.

Thinking about it I could make a proper blanking plate out of some GRP sheet, then remove the spigot and screw it in place.

My worry was that the gas safe guy would be a bit unsure about a 'repair' to the box, but this would surely be better than the original spigot filled with sealant.

Reaction score
Hi
If you cut a glass-fibre disk and attached it inplace of the spigot that would be perfect, just run a bead of silicone around the edge before you fit it and I am sure your engineer will be very impressed I know I would have been.
The amount of meter boxes I have had to seal up that had no seal between the spigot and the pipe/cavity :rolleyes:
Pete

Ask a Question