Fridge-freezer ice maker not working while freezer working fine

Reaction score
Country
United States
I 'inherited' a 1990's GE side-by-side fridge-freezer (Model GSS20IETA WW, if it helps) when I moved into my place. It has worked fine for many years, until this summer.

During the prolonged hot weather, the ice maker stopped working and indeed, so did the freezer as a whole: ice cream separated and so on. Interestingly, though, as fall arrived and the average ambient temperature dropped, the freezer started working again and has continued to do so – BUT while the ice maker started working for a day or so, it then stopped producing again.

I've experimented with different temperature settings. The freezer and the fridge can be set at 1 — 9. No setting seems to allow the unit to make ice – but otherwise, it is chilling fine, both the freezer side and the fridge side. In fact, if i set the fridge to a number 7 or higher, liquids freeze – so it doesn’t look like the condenser isn’t working.

So it's just the ice maker that's not working AND tantalizingly, it seems that there was a combination of ambient temperature and settings in which it DID work.

Any ideas, anyone?

Ask a Question