Flue at back of house leaking water

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me (apologies if I have used the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this was general or plumbing - please move if it's in the wrong place). Apologies in advance for the long rambling post.

I have noticed there is a flue coming out of the back of my house, I've never noticed it is there before and the only reason I've noticed it is because it is constantly leaking water.
I'm assuming it is for the back boiler, as it is situated between the ground and first floor of my house, in the middle of the wall.

I have the kitchen (downstairs) and bathrooms (upstairs) at the front of my house, with the lounge/dining room (downstairs) and bedrooms (upstairs) being at the back of the house.

The chimney is inbetween the lounge and dining room making the rooms at the back of the house U shaped, The bottom of the U being against the back wall (I hope this makes sense).

The back boiler is in the chimney downstairs, behind a gas fire. The hot water tank is upstairs in a cupboard in the centre of the house adjecent to the chimney.

I never use the gas fire as the knob is broken, so it is permenantly switched off.
The back boiler although at least 25 years old works well (although in order to have hot water the heating has to come on as the radiators do not have on/off switches due to their age - I think it is a Gloworm, but could be wrong).

Does anybody have any ideas why this flue could be leaking? I rarely venture into the back garden, but it would appear it has been leaking for some time given how wet the wall is.

There was nothing wrong when the boiler was last serviced last year, British Gas said it wouldn't confirm to new build standards but didn't comdemn it or say it has to be replaced or anything.

Obviously I don't want to die of carbon monoxide poisoning, but I'd like to know if anyone knows what the leak could be before I call British Gas out. I don't want them lying to me and condeming the boiler telling me I have to have a whole new central heating system installed at considerable cost if it's something that is easily fixed. At the same time, if the leaking flue means the boiler is dangerous then I don't want the house blowing up or anybody getting poisoned!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ask a Question