Floor Rot Around Shower

Reaction score
Good day! I had an addition put on my house several years ago and recently I discovered a mushy tile in the bathroom. After investigating further I discovered much decay (see attached images).

I'm hoping to get solid feedback and progress the repair until it is finished as I have three kids and an expensive repair is not in the budget.

The floor is two layers of plywood with tiles directly on top (hence the rot). I suspect I will have to keep popping tiles until the floor is solid and then take out the wall tiles around the shower pan, exposing the backerboard and cut that out to get the pan out. Good first steps to expose the problem? Replace with moisture barrier and backer board and then tile?

I have the source of leak determined - it was a very slow leak over years around the glass doors. Two cents worth of sealant would have went a long way :(
shower1.jpg
shower2.jpg

All help greatly appreciated.

Tim

Reaction score
Is this bathroom on the first or second floor? If on the first, is there a crawl space under the house you can access? The steps you describe would be ideal, but, if you have access, you may be able to replace the rotted plywood without having to remove the shower pan, saving yourself a lot of time, effort and money. Even if it is on the second floor, you may find it easier if you create an access hole in the ceiling below the problem area and then reinstall the removed drywall by attaching a 2X4 frame and then screwing the removed drywall and finishing the cuts.

Ask a Question