First time tiler with questions

Reaction score
I am a beginner in DIY- absolutely have no experience in this area but we've got to start somewhere.

I have decided to start off with our toilet room. I want to use a tile border which will separate the two colours of paint I have chosen.

Here are the tiles I have decided to use. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Emperado ... m/p/140254

We're going to cut them so we have two rows of the square tiles.

My questions are:

Do we use ready-made grout or the powdered version?

Do we use the 2-1 adhesive and grout or buy them separately?

What colour grout would look best?

Do we need a waterproof sealant? Or is there something else I should apply on the surface of the tiles?

Are manual cutters alright or should I go for something else?

Any advice or suggestions/opinions would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Use a ready made adhesive & grout. Check that the grout is water resistant. Tiles are normally waterproof but the guidance says to apply sealant. Your first effort at tiling should be in an area where it is not likely to be noticeable if you get things a little wrong.

You tube the way to tile before you tackle the job.

Reaction score
I am a beginner in DIY- absolutely have no experience in this area but we've got to start somewhere.

I have decided to start off with our toilet room. I want to use a tile border which will separate the two colours of paint I have chosen.

Here are the tiles I have decided to use. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Emperado ... m/p/140254

We're going to cut them so we have two rows of the square tiles.

My questions are:

Do we use ready-made grout or the powdered version?

Do we use the 2-1 adhesive and grout or buy them separately?

What colour grout would look best?

Do we need a waterproof sealant? Or is there something else I should apply on the surface of the tiles?

Are manual cutters alright or should I go for something else?

Any advice or suggestions/opinions would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
If you're ready to cough up a few extra bucks, go with powdered grout with separately bought adhesives. This will give you more control upon the finished substance - so, if you'll need some more density, you can easily add some more adhesives, and vice versa.

As long as you do not intend to place something complex, manual cutters should be fine.

Ask a Question