Fence Post roted all the way through

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site, but have noticed some really good information in here, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I have a small picket fence between my house and my neighbors and I found the end post leaning, so I went and pushed on it and found it loose. Actually, I was able to pick it up and out of its cement hole. I temporarily moved this end of the fence out of the way, and dug out all the old remains of the old 4x4 post. My question is, do I have break away all the old concrete that was holding the old post, or can I just fit a new post into the old hole and secure it someway? I have never done this before, but assume I most likely need to chisel away all the old concrete and set the new post with new concrete around it. Is this correct?

Also, will the normal concrete post mix work for this, or do I need to mix my own concrete mixture? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance....

Reaction score
If I understand your description, the pose was inserted into an indent in the concrete. This is not an uncommon way of doing a post. If so, you should be able to reuse the same piece of concrete as long as you make sure that the cavity is free of debris. Any rotten matter in there when you replace the post can accelerate the rotting on the new post.

This method of seating a post is problematic. Water tends to run down the post and pool in the cavity. The base of the post can sit in water. A concrete pad with a pin ho hold the post slightly above ground is another option. It will keep the base of the post out of the ground and avoid pooling water.

Reaction score
I also had this issue and done some digging, excuse the pun. Apparently the correct way to fit a fence post is to pour the concrete in first and then sit the post into it. This removes any air pockets that collect water. You are then suppose to camphor the edges of the cement around the base of the post so the water has a chance to run off.
Adam

Reaction score
If the old post has rotted away leaving a useable concrete base all you need do is to hammer in a " Drive-In Post" . They are designed for just this job. Toolstation have them for £5.39 each. Item number 80996. Other places will stock them too. You just need a heavy hammer to drive it into the rotted base.

Ask a Question