Fastening an oak fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have made a very basic oak fire surround to be fastened to an old lath and plaster wall. I would like to fix it up so that no fittings can be seen, and I don't want to be filling over screw holes in the oak as that never works effectively with the lovely grain and varnish finish it will have.

Looking for any tips or ideas as to how to stick it up there?

It's a very simple '3 planks of oak" - 2 uprights and a cross piece for the top.

Made vaguely more awkward by the fact it's an old cottage where nothing is straight and also the oak is a tiny teeny bit warped but we are going for the slightly rustic look here :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh thanks Silentrunning! Yes I did contemplate pictures but I'm not at the actual house, so could only show the wood.
I have spoken to my joiner pals tho and looked further online and gone and bought myself a plug cutter kit with 3 or 4 sizes.
Never tried them before so quite looking forward to it and will hopefully ost pictures afterwards :D

Hopefully the lath and plaster won't be a problem as it's right around the brickwork of the fireplace and I'm expecting some kind of framework to support the lath :)

Cheers

Ask a Question