Even remotely legit? Manual transfer switch

Reaction score
I came across a thread on a blog site where the author split the A and B side of his manual transfer switch across two load centers.

Common sense tells me this is way illegal. However as I think about I can’t help but wonder if you split the circuits according to the feed and provide a neutral line to each load center is it?

Just wondering as I begin down the should/shouldn’t I journey of adding power backup to my home.

http://mike.loverme.us/2011/11/14/how-to-install-a-transfer-switch-for-a-generator-in-your-home/

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, I looked at your pic and the best I can conclude is that it is a panelboard in England or Europe.

I make that guess based on the color of the cables.

I know of no way to effectively split the bus bars into two separate cabinets. The first problem would be the shared Neutral. You would have to share that, provide two grounding paths and bond all the metal parts together. Also, I see no gain for you.

Also, you would have to ask your Power Company to see if you can even do that.

Ask a Question