Epoxy garage floor - diy??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am moving into a new home with only screeting on garage floor. I would like to finish it off with an epoxy layer(s). The paint supplier says it is easy to do, first coat very thin, second after leaving to dry can be slightly thicker. I know floor must be cleaned properly before the time. Any other tips before you start? Acid cleaning to prepare the floor? If so what acid?

Help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I agree the paint sticks well as long as the floor is dust and grease-free so some elbow grease and a basic floor cleaner with be sufficient. Yes, it is easy to apply - use a roller and go for more thin coats rather than trying to cheat with less thick coats. Paint the whole floor in one go as this lasts longer than doing a section, leaving it to dry and then doing a bit more. The paint can be very smelly so ensure you have decent ventilation and wear a proper mask.

Reaction score
Country
Luxembourg
I am moving into a new home with only screeting on garage floor. I would like to finish it off with an epoxy layer(s). The paint supplier says it is easy to do, first coat very thin, second after leaving to dry can be slightly thicker. I know floor must be cleaned properly before the time. Any other tips before you start? Acid cleaning to prepare the floor? If so what acid?

Help will be appreciated.
I did the floor of an out room a few months ago with floor paint. Quite easy to use and very simple.

I never used acid, I just pressure washed the floor as there was no oil or grease stains and was rough enough just to apply the paint.

Just follow the exact instructions on the tin, if you feel you need to use acid have a look here it will explain everything

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DZTB49SJ6qY

the paint is also good for metal and really helps prevent corrosion specially on metal gates or railings. You can always read information in different websites. Good luck, it's simple and easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I painted the garage floor with garage floor paint and it is good in areas where I don't park the car.
However the heat from the tyres tends to lift the paint. So I have 4 bare patches.
I am not doing it again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did the floor of an out room a few months ago with floor paint. Quite easy to use and very simple.

I never used acid, I just pressure washed the floor as there was no oil or grease stains and was rough enough just to apply the paint.

Just follow the exact instructions on the tin, if you feel you need to use acid have a look here it will explain everything

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DZTB49SJ6qY

the paint is also good for metal and really helps prevent corrosion specially on metal gates or railings. You can always read information in different websites. Good luck, it's simple and easy.
epoxy floors toronto
I've seen some of you post some lovely garage floors in your car pics. Gotta look for something for my garage. It's a small double garage but I want it to look nice and practical. I live in the land of salt and sand and drive my 911 year around so garage floor needs to be cleaned out a couple of times a year specially after winter. Post pics and pass on advice please.

Oh and if you have any idea of approximate cost just to gauge options.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Prepare and wash the floor area first and then see how it looks. Add 2 to 3 ounces of ammonia to a gallon of hot water, then clean your epoxy floor with this solution.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would have a contractor do that. The acid your referring to is VERY toxic....you will NOT like it. I used it many years ago when I was in the concrete industry. If you must have it, please use a contractor. They have the knowledge and equipment that a homeowner just won't have.

If you must, pressure wash the floor and apply your paint. However, you'll likely find "kevin clayton's" post above will likely hold true.

Ask a Question