Electrician crossed 220vac with 120vac - need assistance verifying the damage.

Reaction score
My Electrician made a mistake and I need assistance verifying the damage.
Environment:
A. Kitchen and Garage Remodel.
B. Range being changed from electric to gas.
C. Circuit Breaker 7/8 220vac Oven.
D. Circuit Breaker 31 120vac GFCI many outlets. (master bath, outdoor sockets,..)
E. Circuit Breaker 33/34 220vac to Pool Equip SubPanel.
Objectives and Original Request:
1. Electric Oven 220vac Circuit (breaker 7/8) no longer needed.
2. Two Garage GFCI 120vac Sockets (on breaker 31) were tripping too often with power tools(table saw etc), also since it is shared with 3 Master Bath sockets, and 2 exterior porch sockets. Request to have 2 garage sockets get own circuit.
Wiring:
3. Picture 1 - new attic Junction Box with original white 10 gauge 220vac coming in, yellow 12 gauge 220vac going out. (mistake 1, should be 10-2)
4. Picture 2 - Existing Garage Socket Junction Box - 3 wires coming in, 4 twisted together. (mistake 2, did not disconnect 31 wires)
5. Picture 3 - Garage Socket Junction Box - 3 wires coming in, 4 twisted together. (mistake 2, did not disconnect 31 wires)
Events and Problems:
a. Circuit Breaker 7/8 off. Everything fine.
b. Action: Circuit Breaker 7/8 turned on.
c. Result 1: Circuit 31 flips off. 33/34 (for pool subpanel) not off.
d. Result 2: Pool Pump and hot tub not working. (in a subpanel connected to 33/34)
e. Examine 1: Subpanel breaker for Hot Tub had flipped off. Turned on, all well.
f. Examine 2: Pool Pump dead, verified 220vac (also verified each pole separate for 120 good)
g. With 31/32 off, 7/8 on, I have 120vac in Master Bath sockets and Garage Sockets.
h. With 31/32 on, 7/8 off I have 120vac in Master Bath sockets and Garage Sockets.

Solution: Disconnect existing 31 wire coming into one of the garage sockets, and somehow verify only getting one pole/leg?

Question #1: How to get only 1 pole/leg for that socket? (I would first un-nut all wires at garage sockets, kill 31. 7/8 on. ID 7/8 coming to sockets. Then?)

Question #2: How come I only get 120vac at sockets with 7/8 on, 31 off?

Big Big Key Question #3: Did electrician blow my pool pump? If so, how? He claims impossible.

Attachments

Reaction score
Seeking confirmations that a) this is wrong, and b) this could damage pool pump.

I have not tested voltage at pool pump with 7/8 ON, 31 OFF (tripped), but can if needed.

(yes, this is not a good electrician, general contractor assigned him as a sub)
(yes, I will seek professional to come confirm)
(yes, the pump is $1600)
(lets not worry in this discussion how I will prove things.)
Thanks,
Walt
Electric Diagram Hot on Neutral v02 (Medium).jpg

Reaction score
Well Gents, it has been mostly resolved.
Based on most people's thoughts that the Pool Pump was likely not in harms way from the electrical issues, I had the "electrician" come fix what he had done.
He was indeed wrong, and my diagram was correct, except that it was only 120vac crossed. He had removed a hot from the 7/8 breaker to get to 120vac and run it to an outlet. At that outlet he had erroneously not disconnected the original power from 31.
Done. Pair of New 20amp breakers, rewired, and no cost to me accept my 3 hours of "assistance" :)
Pool Pump will have to be considered coincidence by storm, lightning, or other surge.
Thanks to all.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question