earth leak test

Reaction score
I heard that you should test the earth leak protection in the breaker box every 6 months so make sure it is working correctly so I started doing that by pressing the TEST button. It trips the switch next to it and the indicator changes from red to green, however it doesn't cut off the power to the house as I expected it to do. Isn't that what is supposed to happen?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
NOTE: When you depress the "TEST" button manually, the breaker should open internally. This may not be indicative by the position of the blue handle adjacent to the right of the "TEST" button.

Turn that breaker off manually. What goes off in the house? (check the oven/range and the dryer). Reset the breaker. Press the "TEST" button, go check the loads that were de-energized earlier by manual operation. Are they off?

Reaction score
NOTE: When you depress the "TEST" button manually, the breaker should open internally. This may not be indicative by the position of the blue handle adjacent to the right of the "TEST" button.

Turn that breaker off manually. What goes off in the house? (check the oven/range and the dryer). Reset the breaker. Press the "TEST" button, go check the loads that were de-energized earlier by manual operation. Are they off?
Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and traced what exactly turns off, and as it turns out it is working just fine. What caused the confusion is that all the lights were still on when I tested it the first time. The breaker only turns off sockets, not lights.

Ask a Question