Durable frame for DIY recording booth

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in an old apartment building, and I'm self-conscious about my neighbors hearing me during singing practice. I can hear the lower frequencies of voices during their conversations, but unless I'm near the wall I can't make out words.

I'm assuming singing would be a bit louder than conversation volume, but I don't think I need a huge db reduction in order to not be so self-conscious.

Since it's an apartment, any construction work is out of the question. I know that doesn't give me many options, but I've seen portable booths that are just a PVC frame holding up acoustic blankets. I don't think that will be enough for me, so I was thinking about using a similar frame and hanging mass-loaded vinyl over it, so it'd be two layers, maybe along with acoustic blankets on the inside.

1lb MLV over a 5-6ft frame would get heavy. Would PVC pipes be strong enough to hold that weight for prolonged periods? (I don't plan on disassembling it much.)

If not, would MDF/aluminum work or do I need to go heavier? Even with PVC, I'm not sure the weight of the MLV just hanging instead of connected to a wall would be too much for the floor. But then there are 200 lb exercise bikes that only have four contact points with the ground, so would it be fine?

Ask a Question