Dryer hookup help

Reaction score
Had an existing dryer working in the basement...got rid of that old dryer and got a new one, both were/are a 3 prong plug so that's not the issue. I moved the laundry room to the upstairs now instead, so the cord is no longer long enough to reach. I got a piece of 220 cord, similar gauges to extend it to suit my purposes but ran into a snag

Here are pics showing what I'm working with. I know black goes to black and white to white but it's the green/ground - red discrepancy that is throwing me off....on both ends

Where do I put the green cord into the plug where the red used to be? And where I slice them together in the basement similar question...black to black, white to white, and I just tuck the bare copper ground into the junction box, cap the red wire off, but what to do with the green wire there do I connect that to the white neutral and/or bare copper ground as well?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You have the wrong wire, what you have is 2 wire w/ ground what you need is 3 wire w/ ground. The neutral and ground can share the same terminal on the receptacle as long as the neutral is connected to the neutral bus bar in the panel. You should change the receptacle and plug to a four prong as most new dryers run that configuration. With your current wire you would have to wire the neutral to the breaker (making it hot) and move that wire to the right terminal. You would then use the green (ground) wire as a neutral on the center terminal. I personally don't like that configuration as that leaves the dryer not grounded. On the wire you previously had the black and red are line (hot), white is neutral (return), and bare is ground.

Irv

Reaction score
No offense intended, but if you're going to the trouble of rewiring, why not replace that socket with a proper 4 pin one, and matching cord and plug for the dryer? The corrosion shown in the photos is going to eventually cause overheating and a possible fire. This happened to my neighbor, who luckily walked into the room just as sparks started shooting out of the outlet.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question