Drilling a SS sink...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a undersink water filter and faucet to install. I need to drill a 1/2" hole in a SS sink for the faucet. I tried a DeWalt black oxide bit, Milwaukee Cobalt, a Milwaukee Step Drill and a Milwaukee Hole Dozer. After about 3 hours of drilling, nothing but a 1/16" dimple. I used cutting oil, center punched and slow speed. I watched the "magician's" on YouTube drill them like butter. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally gave up and put the faucet in the counter top, not ideal but it works. Thanks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Oh dear Vetter. Drilling holes in thin gauge metal isn't easy with the larger drill bits because of their tendency to grab on break through; did you simply try to drill using the full sized 1/2" bit; if so drilling a pilot hole using say a 1/8" HSS drill bit would have made a great difference because a pilot hole reduces loading on the larger bits point which as you found out won't cut but just scate around hence only a dimple. I also always use a small dia drill bit whilst drilling large holes using my drill press.

Taper drill bits are much easier to use on thin metal because they don't grab;

1628939361908.png

These taper bits are handy to have in the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to drill an 1/8" pilot with no luck. I also tried a Milwaukee 1/8 to 1/2" taper bit. I seriously considered pulling the sink and taking it to the yard and putting a 45ACP barrel where I wanted the hole and pull the trigger on the 850 feet per second Glock drill. Putting it in the counter was easier. Thanks for your help Retired, me too!

Ask a Question