Drayton Zone Valve Actuator and Valve - Confirm it's dead please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been having weird results from out Tado driven Oil fired boiler Central Heating over the last week. Mainly it wasn't coming on properly despite heat being called for and the boiler supplying plenty of hot water to a (new) MegaFlo unvented cylinder. No central heating in the house at the moment so the log burner is working overtime.

Spent far to much time on technical support with Tado with no improvement. Thought I'd go back to basics this evening. Had a look at the Drayton Zone Actuator and their connected valves.
Drayton Actuator Valve.jpg

Hot Water System Circuit - Drayton Actuator appears to work Ok. The spring operated manual over-ride lever has tension when pushed and returns to the home position when it's released. I removed the Drayton Actuator and the connected 2 port valve has a flattened spigot protruding from the valve body (see photo) which I assume must match up to the corresponding slot in the Actuator. All good (I think).
Working Valve.jpg

Central Heating System Circuit - Drayton Actuator feels different. The spring operated manual over-ride lever is sloppy and has no resistance. I removed the Drayton Actuator and the connected valve does NOT have any visible a flattened spigot protruding from the valve. How can the valve be operated if there's no spigot?
Broken Valve?.jpg

So, can anyone recommend a course of action? I guessing I'll need to call the Plumber to drain the system down and replace the valve with no spigot and dodgy Actuator? Given the cruddy state of the other valve (they're both over 15 years old) I may consider getting both replaced at the same time.

What do you guys think please?
What would you replace these with? Is this right? https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-27100sx-2-port-motorised-valve-22mm-22mm-compression/32455
Like for like or is there a better solution?

Cheers.

Ask a Question