do I have structural problem

les

Reaction score
Wood floor (main floor) above I beam has gap up to 1/4". There is a high point in the floor where the gap has occurred. When I lay a ruler on edge across the gap and measure 24" from the gap, the end of the ruler is 7/16" off the floor. The gap was not there when home was purchased new (2008). I do have a whole house humidifier. (The gap is in a section of the wood floor that is 6' long, gap is 1/4" on 1 end and 1/8" gap on floor 6' away). Builder is bankrupt.

I checked I-beam underneath and I have found the following.

Beam is 4" x 8" size and 24' long. Beam is set in poured wall pockets on both ends and there are 2 adjustable metal poles along the span. There does NOT appear to be shims under beam in the wall pockets.

BUT, beam is not vertical. What I mean is beam appears to have rolled (tilted"), or possibly was installed not vertical. When I put a level vertically on the edge of the I-beam, the bottom of the beam is 1/8" off of vertical on 1 end, and 1/4" off of vertical on the other end. There is a 2x4 on top of the beam that is "fastened" to the beam with nails that have been bent over. Nails on end with 1/8" roll, appear to be unchanged. Several of the nails on the end with 1/4" roll are not tight against the top of the beam.

Reaction score
Hard to tell but 1/4" is not a large amount structurally; probably less than original building tolerances. Since floor is up from beam I would expected it is because wood flooring has been exposed to moisture; expanded and buckled some. If the beam you discuss is in basement there may be water vapor. Normally a vapor barrier (plastic) would be installed under a wooden floor if it is over a basement or crawlspace. A dehumidifier in the basement might keep the problem from getting worse or you may also consider a vapor barrier under the beam but that isn't easy to seal in a retrofit. A more expensive vapor barrier woiuld be proffesionally sprayed foam insulation under the floor.

Reaction score
Les...did the builder go bankrupt because of solely cash reasons or were they regarded as cowboys? this could make all the difference to your question...bosshogg

Ask a Question