Disabling smoke alarm

Reaction score
How can I temporarily disable a hard-wired smoke alarm so that I can burn some paint off. Turning off at the mains doesn't stop the batteries setting it off and also sounds the exterior alarm. I feel that I'm b***ed which ever way I go but there must be some sort of answer to it. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
An old decorators trick is to fit a rubber glove over the smoke head so that it doesn't sense the smoke, the same could be achieved with a plastic bag and a rubber band.

Reaction score
How can I temporarily disable a hard-wired smoke alarm so that I can burn some paint off. Turning off at the mains doesn't stop the batteries setting it off and also sounds the exterior alarm. I feel that I'm b***ed which ever way I go but there must be some sort of answer to it. Any suggestions?
Same idea as below but using clingfilm/masking tape but DON'T forget to remove it.

Reaction score
I would check with the state and or city before you cover up any fire alarms especially if you live in an apartment, town house or in a home with an active neighborhood association. Most states it is illegal to disable a fire alarm or obstruct it from functioning properly.

Ask a Question