Damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I live in a 150 year old cottage in Cornwall (tough I know but somebody gotta live here). I've just had a complete renovation done but a problem has arisen in that some damp patches are showing on the walls. There was a problem with the roof but this was rectified almost 2 years ago. The renovations included fixing insulated plasterboard with "dot and dab" but it seems that some damp is getting through both the dot and dab, and the polystyrene on the back of the plasterboard. The exterior walls were treated with both SBR and Leyland Pliolite paint, so it's not penetrating and since there is a cellar at ground level it can't be rising. I can only assume it's residual damp, despite the fact that the internal walls were left exposed with heating and de-humidifiers going for 6 weeks before fixing the plaster board.

Having checked back I find that the plasterboard (Thermaline Basic) is not suitable, for damp walls but as I said we thought it was all gone. I guess I could rip all the plasterboard off and fit something better, but the wall underneath would still be damp.

My initial thoughts are to put a couple of 4" core drills right through the walls and fit vents and possibly an extractor fan. to hopefully dry the wall out. I know that a plastic pipe would normally go through the wall but I'm thinking that not using the pipe will allow the wall to dry better???

One other thought was to drill through into the dot and dab and inject some of the "injection damp course stuff" which would hopefully spread through the dot & dab and at least hide the damp.

Any thoughts???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it damp or residual salt in the walls from the previous damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's no evidence of salt. The damp patches are registering as between 25 and 30% with a damp meter. and they all seem to be located where the "Dot and dab" is.

Ask a Question