Dado Rail placement help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone can give me some advice... I am wanting to install a dado rail and paneling that starts off at the entrance hallway, up the stairs and on to my landing.

The problem im having is where to terminate the dado rail on the stairs wall. Under normal circumstances youd follow the stairs up and then round on the landing but because my stairs are set back on to the landing this makes it very odd.

The yellow scribble is where the dado would sit if i measured 1000mm from the floor up. As you can see the dado up the stairs wont match the height of the dado on the landing.

The red scribble is where the dado would need to be placed if i wanted a continuous connection.

I suppose my question is.. should the dado on the stairs match the yellow or red line?

Landing
Landing 2.jpg
staircase 1.jpg

staircase 2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the proposed red line doesn't appear to be equidistant with the stair string below which is incorrect. The stair string is the diagonal skirting (so to speak). I would scrap the red line proposal and go with the yellow line drawn below. Also, on the landing, the dado would look odd sitting on top of the newel post. cap. It would look better being butted up against the newel post just under that cap. This would appear to only be a height differential of about three inches which wouldn't make that dado and its surrounding counterparts look too low. The dado going down the stairs should be the same height above the stair string as the landing dado is from the top of the skirting board. This enables the job to look properly uniform. Hope this makes sense

Ask a Question