Curious boiler smell?

Reaction score
( I'm not sure if this is really a plumbing problem, but couldn't find anywhere better to put it .)

We have a gas-fired back-boiler in our lounge. Recently we have noticed odd occasions when it seems to emit quite a strong garlic-like smell from the vents at the top - usually particularly noticeable if you walk into the room after an absence of (say) an hour or so.

The boiler was serviced in September. It is clean inside and the flame always seems to be a good, pretty well uniform blue-white colour. There is good air flow into the room from an exterior wall vent. There is also a functioning CO detector in the room (tho' I know that CO is odourless anyway).

Any ideas please? It is just something coincidental, or should we worry about it?

Reaction score
Hi
I've got to say - SAFETY FIRST You must get this checked out, any unusual smell should be taken seriously. I suggest the best way would be to contact the local gas emergency line, they will probably call out straight away and do a safety check. Unless things have changed recently there should be no charge.

Ask a Question