covering Artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently moved into a property in Wales and some years ago the roof leaked and has since been replaced. During the leak one of the bedroom ceilings which is covered with Artex got stained in several areas. I have made a check of the ceiling and the boarding feels solid. I want to make the ceiling look good and considering options. I have done a little plastering in the past but I had a few problems and had to sand it down to smooth it. I am thinking of buying a few tubs of this

Diall Rough Surface Ready mixed Finishing plaster, 10kg Tub
Sold & shipped by B&Q

Has anyone used it and if so was it any good?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In case you consider sandig this, look into the history of Artex - prior to some date wot I can't remember it contained asbestos.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In case you consider sandig this, look into the history of Artex - prior to some date wot I can't remember it contained asbestos.
Hi I have looked into Artex and the possibility of asbestos being present so I will not be doing any sanding
Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I plasterboarded over it with tapered Edge and used scrim tape and plastered the joints and sanded. I am pleased with the result but it took ages to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - this is a bit late if you have already covered it up but ... i had success using X-Tex. It is wallpaper-paste like gunge that you brush on and leave to soak in and soften the artex which can be scraped off an hour later without creating dust. For thick artex, moisten with a garden water mister spray and leave longer. My artex was covered in thick paint which i scored through before applying - i think this is an important step to allow the X-Tex to get at the artex. It worked well for me on artex that had been applied direct to a plaster ceiling. I'm told that it can be problematic on artex applied to a plaster boarded ceiling because of the layer of paper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for the reply. I have heard of the x tex but I went down the route of boarding the ceiling over and using scrim tape and mud and lots of filling and sanding it took ages but I am happy with the result

Ask a Question