Considering Above-Ground Pool--Any Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I've looked at a lot of above-ground pools, and they range in price from $200--$2000+. Obviously, you get what you pay for! However, I'm not looking for the pool of the century, just something for them to splash around in. I was thinking about 18' X 48". I have seen some at Walmart, Academy, etc they're called Easy Set. Essentially, it's an inflatable ring around the pool liner, then it "grows" as you fill it up. It really sounds kind of flimsy to me. Seems the only way in and out is through the ladder, any pressure on the inflatable edge and you'd have a flood! Also, everything I've read says you have to level the ground and cut away any sod, or otherwise, the grass will rot underneath, causing nasty smells and possible fungus, rot, etc. Ok, so we get an above-ground pool from Walmart. They only deliver it curbside, and won't even take it inside the backyard. Then, we set it up--oops, did we forget to cut out the sod first? Well, moving right along, we then set up our pool, be it a Walmart cheapo or something nice about $2000 plus. Now, what will I find out?

I guess I'd like some advice from above-ground pool owners who have had theirs for a while and can inform me of the pros and cons, the things you never find out until you've had it for a while. Is it a pain to maintain? Expensive? Do the kids enjoy it at first and then grow bored with it? Well, any advice, suggestions, etc., thanks!

Ask a Question