Christmas lights hack

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding Xmas lights. We have 6 pine trees that have been prewired with some fairly hefty Low Voltage lighting Cable 10AWG from memory. Now we have bought 6 set of led xmas lights one for each tree. I have cut off the controllers and connected these lights together but the transformer that came with these lights will not run all the lights at once.

Anyways here is my question the light box states that the AC transformer is rated to :

Pri 230-240V -50hz
SEC 31V eff 0.12A 3.6VA (120mA) Max 3.6VA
Lamp 2L, 31V 0-3.5VA

I am not sure what each set consumes but I can assume its less then 120mA as that is what the transformer is rated to. I had connected 2 lights of the one transformer and the worked fine together so I am assuming that the lights consume only 60mA.

Would it be safe for me to run these lights on a 12V 1A supply or do I have to get a 31V power supply to run these lights also would 1A be too high I am guessing I can get away with 500ma for this setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ikhan42

Last edited:

Ask a Question