Choosing a DG supplier

Reaction score
It's time to replace our windows (hopefully before winter sets in). So the search is on for a reliable and cheap outfit that can supply and fit fairly ordinary upvc to a 1960s semi.

An internet search throws up a few, including the usual suspects, such as Anglian (are they even worth considering?). However most of the addresses given in directories turn out somebody's house - not as business or industrial address. I don't fancy the idea of handing over £000's to someone operating out of their spare bedroom.

Obviously a local recommendation would be useful, but when I've tried asking any of the neighbours that I know well enough, all I get are blank looks: as if that was the sort of question you'd get on Mastermind.

So, unless you can recommend someone in the Maidenhead/Reading/High Wycombe area, how do YOU go about finding a suppler you can trust, given zero local knowledge?

Reaction score
It's time to replace our windows (hopefully before winter sets in). So the search is on for a reliable and cheap outfit that can supply and fit fairly ordinary upvc to a 1960s semi.

An internet search throws up a few, including the usual suspects, such as Anglian (are they even worth considering?). However most of the addresses given in directories turn out somebody's house - not as business or industrial address. I don't fancy the idea of handing over £000's to someone operating out of their spare bedroom.

Obviously a local recommendation would be useful, but when I've tried asking any of the neighbours that I know well enough, all I get are blank looks: as if that was the sort of question you'd get on Mastermind.

So, unless you can recommend someone in the Maidenhead/Reading/High Wycombe area, how do YOU go about finding a suppler you can trust, given zero local knowledge?
Heres the best advice you can get regarding pvc windows...don't fit them the guarantees are not worth the paper there written on, they begin to look tatty within a few years and have a maximum life of thirty years, at most...bosshogg

Reaction score
Anglian are hopelessly overpriced. This house has a load of their windows from 2000/2001 and already the well-used ones are very tired and don't close properly. I really wouldn't have anything to do with them if you can help it.

Use any well-estabilished local supplier - they won't send terrible salesmen round that won't go away (like Zenith did to me once - terrible people!), they will give you a reasonable quote and supply windows just as good as Anglia's, quite possibly better.

Be sure to get a U-w of at least 1.4 as that's easily do-able with current DG/uPVC. (as opposed to the 2.1-2.4 you got a decade ago).

If buying windows now I'd seriously consider 3G. the premium over 2G is down to less than 15%, and the U-values around aorund 0.9-1.0 (i.e only 2/3rds the heat-loss, and better comfort due to higher internal temps).

As prevous poster said - do consider Timber or timber/alu windows.

I've just bought new windows for extension and chose timber 3G from Greensteps, rather than PVC. There are lots of UK suppliers now - I had about 12 companies to choose from. Check out Albo, Russel timbertech, Green Building Store, Greensteps, Rawington, Ideal Combi, Ecomerchant, Velfac.

If you can't stand the idea of painting then get timber with aluminium cladding (or fibreglass). ALi caldding is another 15-20% extra. Fibreglass is fairly limited choice in this country (as is 3G uPVC, but it is coming online now. Rehau do some IIRC).

Sadly PVC is still cheaper, but the environment footprint is poor, 3G is hard to find, they are throw-away products, and the thermal numbers tend not to be so good.

Reaction score
Get a few suppliers around to give you quotes. I know its not very scientific, but gut feeling is often right. Ask lots of questions and you should get a feel for whether they know what they're talking about. Also, if the neighbours are no help, try asking a local hardware store, or builders for their recommendations - they are bound to have heard who to avoid at least!

Ask a Question