Chest of drawers (oak)

Reaction score
I bought a chest of drawers a year ago (which only my girlfriend uses). They are solid oak and quite expensive. I had to use them recently and realised the drawers themselves are very dificult to open and close.

I know this is because there is too much slack so they get stuck from side to side.

Can you buy some kind of shim or spacers specifically to fill the gaps and there fore cure the problem? If not, what would you reccommend for the job?

Reaction score
wax

Hi Godfrey. Without seeing the item I can't say for sure if it would be possible to add slips to the runners. And depending what the guides (runners) are made of you have 2 options. 1. On one draw try rubbing a small church candle over the guides (Runners) as this will coat the dry wood and allow the draws to slide better. 2. On another draw apply a thin coat of talc powder to the guides. You’ll soon work out which one works the best.

Brush the guides off first (don’t wipe with a cloth or you’ll push the dirt into the grain and defeat the object of the exercise).
Regards.
Bunsen.

Ask a Question