Changing Wire Gauge

Reaction score
I ran 12 gauge wire from an outside plug to my shed. It was about a 60 ft run. The plug was wired with 14 gauge wire. Is that an issue changing gauges from smaller to larger in this situation? I'm wiring the shed outlets with 14 gauge wire.

Reaction score
I ran 12 gauge wire from an outside plug to my shed. It was about a 60 ft run. The plug was wired with 14 gauge wire. Is that an issue changing gauges from smaller to larger in this situation? I'm wiring the shed outlets with 14 gauge wire.
From what I understand, this will put an increased load on the 14 gauge wire feeding the outlet. Just have to watch what type of equipment/tools you run in the shed.

Reaction score
What is the Amperage of the circuit protection (circuit breaker or fuse) ? For #14awg it should be 15amp, but if it was all #12awg you could use up to a 20amp .
Also, 14awg is actually small diameter wire the 12awg wire.

Reaction score
Your current is limited to no more than 15 amps. When mixing conductors, the limiting factor is the smallest gauge wire anywhere in the circuit in this case the 14 AWG cable. If you try to run 20 amp on this circuit you run the very real risk of melting the insulation of the 14 AWG wire and causing a short and fire.

Ask a Question