Central Heating pump replacement

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My antique Grundfos pump has died. It first kept tripping a fuse, it was then OK but was very hot and not pumping. I've certified it as dead.

I'm just a confident DIYer and I am going to try and replace it myself. I have already earmarked a Grundfos 15-50 UPS as its replacement and two new gate valves as well. I'm only going to do it if I can use compression fittings (not solder) to slot the new pump and valves and small lengths of 22mm pipe into the gap left by removing the old pump.

I have a coal fired Parkray back boiler that heats the water and the central heating, they use separate piping.

I have two questions:

1) Referring to the photo, is the connection of the right hand side of the gate valve a solder joint or compression? I hope it's a compression fitting.

2) Referring to the other photo: I am going to drain the central heating system before tackling the job. My hot water tank looks like an ancient old thing, boxed in with plywood and rivets. On top of the tank is, I think, the header tank for the C/H. I can't see how I can get to the header tank to add corrosion inhibitor. Will the top of this box be open or sealed in, If it's sealed in then how can I add the inhibitor?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Ask a Question